Sunday, November 16, 2014

30 Days of Thankfulness Project: Part I

This November, I'm taking a few minutes to articulate one thing I am thankful for each day.  The following is the first installment of my 30 Days of Thankfulness Project.  The second and final installment will be coming at the end of the month!

Day 1:
I am thankful for my friend Erin, who walked with me today, literally and figuratively.  I'm thankful for her wisdom and experience, and the reminder that my own experiences are not unique.  I'm thankful for the motivation to mobilize in order to start this season on a healthy path.

I am thankful also for a silly spirit, and the tradition of switching Halloween costumes.  Seth and I were collectively "Jesus take the Wheel" this year, and we took turns playing both roles this weekend.

Day 2:
I am thankful for the opportunity to escape the city for a day of rest, and for a friend who is able to take me with him to his family cabin to do this.  I’m thankful for long car rides that provide opportunity for uninterrupted, intentional, and meaningful conversation.

Day 3:
I am thankful for the flexibility of my job, and for the opportunity to work remotely as needed.  I'm thankful for my co-worker Lisa, who makes me feel less isolated at work and more like part of a little team.

Day 4:
I am thankful for my right to have a say in my government through voting, and for safe and easy access to my polling place.  I'm thankful especially for this as a woman, knowing that even 100 years ago not all women in the United States had this right.

Day 5:
I am thankful for my Girly Group, a small group of women that I meet with every Wednesday. We experience vulnerability and trust through the practices of sharing the highs and lows of our lives, and we have meaningful discussions about important topics.  We lift each other up through hard times, and celebrate each other in good times.  I'm thankful to have been a part of this group of friends for so many years, and to know them and be known.

Day 6:
I am thankful for the opportunity to get out of the office today to participate in a work-sponsored service project.  I'm thankful to work for a company that values social change and encourages community involvement.

Day 7:
I am thankful for Thursday Night Dinners.  A group of my friends started this weekly tradition years ago, and although there has been almost a total turn-over in the group since it initially began, we're still going strong.  It was great to be able to host these ladies last night and to share a meal with them.

Day 8:
I am thankful for my roommate, Craig.  He has a song in his music library for every scenario, and he's a master of creating his own lyrics.  His memory is impeccable, which means he never forgets any detail of my embarrassing moments - and he's not afraid to start a group message thread letting all our friends know exactly what I did this time.  One day, he decided to start calling me "Kathy", which somehow stuck and now, unfortunately, my most popular nickname.  We spend most of our time together wearing our apartment dress code - bath towels.  Today, I casually found him laying in my bed, reading his book.  We've made so many fun memories together over the past year and a half, and moving in with him has made my life so much more colorful and so much less lonely.

Day 9:
I am thankful to live in a city with an amazing, accessible theater/arts scene.  The Twin Cities has the second most theater seats per capita of any metropolitan area (second to NYC).  Today I got to see a really wonderful student production of Rent at the History Theater, and on Friday I saw a holiday show at Brave New Workshop.  It's easy to take these opportunities for granted, but not everyone has access to this kind of live entertainment in their city.

Day 10:
I am thankful for time tonight with a friend one generation ahead of me, who provided me with an incredible perspective of having experienced both wonderful things and terrible things in her life.  I'm thankful for her willingness to share her stories so openly, and for the perspective that mixed-generational friendships provide.

Day 11:
I am thankful to live in the center of Minneapolis.  I love being able to walk to work and other places downtown.  I love being close to almost everywhere I go, including the homes of dozens of friends. Many weeks, I can do everything I need and want to do without leaving a 3 mile radius of my home.  I'm thankful to have found a location that is so convenient and so fun.

Day 12:
I am thankful for the opportunity to know other people around my age who have been through a divorce.  Although it feels like there are not many of us who have had this experience so early in life, I have been lucky enough to connect with a few.  Divorce is a unique life experience that is only fully understood by other people who have also been through it, and connecting and sharing support with these people provides me (and I hope them) with sense of strength.

Day 13:
I am thankful to have an array of talented friends in my life. Today I got to read a fabulous article written by my friend Ryan (Owner of Events by Lady K) in Lavender Magazine. It really is wonderful to watch the people I love succeed in doing what they're good at and passionate about. I'm also thankful to have a group of friends who are extremely encouraging of one another, and express pride in each other's achievements.

Day 14:
I am thankful for ease of communication in a digital age.  Texting, messaging, and social media enable me to keep in touch with as many people as I want, as frequently as I want, in a way that I wouldn't other wise be able to do.

Day 15:
I am BEYOND thankful for the opportunity to open my house to friends to share food, drinks, and a holiday spirit.  I'm thankful for the annual tradition of Friendsgiving, and for people's openness to sharing what they're thankful for.  I'm thankful for making turkey hats out of construction paper, and for Mark, who co-hosts this event with me every year.  I'm thankful for nights that fill me up to a point of overflowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment