Sunday, February 2, 2014

Groundhog Day: Living Outside of the Shadow

We're all familiar with the 1993 movie Groundhog Day, staring Bill Murray.  The basic premise: a man gets trapped in a time-loop, waking up each morning realizing that it is the same day (February 2nd) as it was before.

In real life, time marches on, and we'll never physically find ourselves in the same day twice.  But how often do we end up living in a metaphorical "Groundhog Day"?  How often do we get trapped in the same routines and patterns day  after day after day?  Same job, same meals, same exercise regimes, same social circle, same bars?  How often do we live in our own shadow of what is known to us, at the expense of venturing into the unknown?

I don't want to live like that.  I want to challenge myself to do new things, have new experiences, meet new people, go to new places.  I don't want to live in Groundhog Day: the same day over, and over, and over again.  I don't want to live in my own shadow, in a perpetual state of dead winter, focusing on the past and the mundane, static patterns of life. I want to live dynamically, and interestingly, and vibrantly.

Groundhog Day is a good reminder of the importance of stepping out of one's comfort zone, doing something different, making changes, and taking risks.  This is especially important in winter, when there is a tendency to hibernate and close oneself off to all that the world has to offer.

I've decided to use the month of February to make three small but significant changes in an effort to step out of Groundhog Day.  First, I'm taking a hiatus on dating for the month.  Second, I'm giving up alcohol and added sugars, and severely cutting back on processed foods*.  Third, I'm going to crank up my exercise regimen to challenge myself more than I have been.

None of these things are necessarily themselves anti-Groundhog Day, but they are a means to create the emotional and physical energy that is needed to live a dynamic, anti-Groundhog Day life.
 
Today is a new day, and I will not live it as if it was yesterday.  I see my shadow, but I refuse to stay stuck in it.


*NOTE: I'm going on two weekend trips this month, and let's be honest, I'm not going to be following the no alcohol/sugar/processed food rule during those weekends.  Every plan needs room for flexibiilty. :)

1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing blog, full of tremendous insights, from a very remarkable woman who has great inner strength. May this blog inspire others, because we all need to reboot and renew, especially this time of year. Thanks for the positive encouragement you offer through your writing.--SAK

    ReplyDelete