Sunday, September 11, 2011

Having the Courage to Suck

I spent the first half of this weekend at a church leadership retreat. My church is the most courageous organization I have been a part of. In July, we did a project called Pause, Listen, and Learn. We didn’t meet for regular Sunday services for the month; instead, we went out in small groups to other communities of faith – everything from a Ba’hai center to a Mosque to a conservative Baptist congregation, to a Catholic community. Some people in the community also conducted interviews with over 100 people who are part of the church to talk to them about what is working for them and what is not, and what they’d like to see change. A lot of other learning opportunities went on during July as well. We’re coming up on our 5th year as a congregation and trying to take an honest look at how to continue to grow and remain relevant for the community. I’m proud of my church because it’s the only church I know of that would do something so challenging and out of the ordinary. I’m proud because we’re not afraid to ask the “big questions”, and to challenge our community to do the same. One thing that came up a few times at the retreat was the importance of having the courage to suck.

What I think that means in the context of being a leader of a church community is this: not everything we try (as individuals or a community) is going to work. We’re not going to be good at everything we do, and sometimes we’ll work really hard at something and it will just flop. But, that’s better than not doing it at all. It’s an opportunity for growth and learning, and it shows people that we have thick skin and the drive to achieve something positive for the sake of the community and the world.

Today I had my 20 mile run (the longest run before the marathon). It did not go well. At all. I ran about a 12.5 minute mile pace. My goal time (5 hours) is over 1 minute per mile faster than that. I looked at the results from the Twin Cities Marathon last year, and out of over 8000 runners, only a few dozen finished at that pace or slower. Today’s run reminded me that I am not a natural runner. I have to work really really hard at it, and even then, I’m not good. Of all the people who run a marathon, I am one of the worst.

I came home feeling really discouraged. Why would I want to do something when I’m going to be one of the worst of all the people who do it? (Even if I do finish in my 5 hour goal time, I’m still slower than about 85% of participants.) Why would I want to subject myself to tens of thousands of people watching me struggle to do something that so many others are doing so much better? But I’m remembering the benefit of having the courage to suck.

In this context, this means being brave enough to try something that I’m not good at. Putting the maximum amount of effort and sacrifice into it. Persevering even when I don’t want to. Not comparing myself to other people. Seeing the value in doing it, even when other people are doing it better. Improving next time around.

So, Instead of feeling sorry for myself and wishing I had more talent at running, I’ve decided to be proud of having the courage to suck. I've heard the joke that the person who finished last in their medical school class is still a doctor. The person who finishes the marathon last is still a marathoner.

2 comments:

  1. I like this post, Kate. Wise words. I totally agree and had never thought of it that way...it does take courage to suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This a great attitude to have. My one and only marathon I did wasn't the greatest, but I still call myself a marathoner! And I just think of all the people who will never be able to do it. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete