Friday, November 29, 2013

You're Going to Know You're Alive

I recently was on a roller coaster at Valley Fair.  It was night time, and there was a mixture of cold wind/rain slapping our faces as we slowly creeped to the top.   I securely fastened my rainbow monkey hat, and turned to my seatmate and best buddy, Seth, and said, "I'm scared!!" His response was, "You're going to know you're alive!!"  And with that, we dropped 200 feet, screaming dizzily.

And in that moment, I knew I was alive.

Usually we associate the emotion of "alive" with feeling amazing, doing things that are life-giving.  But the human experience of aliveness is multidimensional.  Like a roller coaster, a full, authentic life has ups and downs.  And that includes the exciting, happy, fun, amazing parts.  It also includes challenging parts, and scary parts, and sad parts.  One of my favorite quotes is: "This is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen.  Do not be afraid."   The human condition is to be afraid of the terrible things. But they shouldn't be feared.  They should be embraced, because without the low points, there could be no high points. What fun is a roller coaster that stays at the same altitude for the duration of the ride?

Sometimes the roller coasters we find ourselves on are not by our own choosing.  This year has been the most terrifying and exhilarating roller coaster of my life, and one I did not expect to go on.  But I'm grateful that even on the low parts, I know that I am alive.  Feeling the full spectrum of emotion IS the definition of being alive.  And knowing that sadness is a healthy part of that is what I'm most thankful for.

Today I'm not just thankful to be living, but I'm also thankful to be truly alive.

What are YOU thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment