Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Important Things

Like a lot of other people, I'm not perfect.  Here is a non-exhaustive list of the reasons why this is true:  I don't like team sports because I'm always the weakest link.  I'm terrible at any and all forms of art; any attempt at craft projects make me frustrated and cranky.  I am not good at deferred gratification; when I want something, I want it now.  My sense of direction is startlingly bad.  I spend too much time checking my texts, e-mails, and Facebook notifications on my phone.  I don't get enough sleep on the weekends.  I spend too much of my gym time doing cardio and not enough on strength training, which explains my increasingly disturbing amount of flab (an extra layer for the winter? Sure, we'll go with that).  Although I'm an okay dresser, I can never pull off looking "fancy", and my ability to accessorize leaves a lot to be desired. I'm nosy.  Sometimes my mouth works faster than my brain, an unfortunate fact which some people refer to as having no filter.  My hair gets all over EVERYTHING.  I can't remember the last time I made my bed.  My idea of cooking a real meal is throwing pre-packaged tortellini into a pot of boiling water.  I have zero self-control. Unlike a startlingly high proportion of my friends, I don't and never will have a PhD, MD, JD, or anything else with a D.

But...

You can count on me to be the among the first to RSVP to your event... and I'll show up with my best "party face" on.  I'll call you back if I don't answer the first time.  I'll remind you why he was never good enough for you - because obviously he wasn't.  Even if it's been a year since I've seen you, I know we will pick up right where we left off.  I'll try to strike a balance between making you laugh and letting you cry.  When I like your outfit, I'll let you know.  I'll remember your birthday.  Actually, I'll probably plan your party.

I'm not good at most things.  I hope, though, that I'm pretty decent at the important things.

4 comments:

  1. I think you're the BEST at all things important in friendships. And you are the best friend anyone could ask for.

    As for the other things, you married a guy who is pretty darn good at them. So, you are a very complementary couple that covers all ends of the spectrum of awesome. I think you're both great.

    Love you!

    p.s. I got your card and I totally forgot to tell you that. In fact, I should just call you later and tell you exactly how much it meant to me. XO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soooo much, Lisha Lynn, for knowing me so much and loving me so much. You're my long-distance constant. And yes, call me and tell me how much my card meant. Maybe we can talk about other stuff, too. :)

      Delete
  2. You look fancier than 98% of women 99% of the time. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wasn't quite the point of this piece... but you know that. :) Also, thank you.

      Delete